Tuesday, March 26, 2013

I think I'm in Love!

Okay, so I love love love my little brother machine. It works like a work horse, is totally reliable and does nearly everything I need it to. If I had only one complaint, it would be the eensy tiny little throat. It's just so plumb difficult to quilt in such a small space! I don't want a new machine, but I do want a new throat (actually, if I could get a long sleek neck for me while we're at it . . . ., but I digress!). I've looked at other machines with larger throats than mine (a measly 6"), but to get to 9" it's upward of $5,000 easy! Now, they're great machines, but I'm not looking for another machine to sew with, just one to quilt with, so I don't need to spend all that money on sewing bells & whistles!

And then I just discovered this:


The Babylock Tiara. Now, name not withstanding, since I'm the last one you'd call "Princess!,"isn't this a dream?! It has 16b beautiful inches of quilting space!! It's essentially a long-arm quilter for people like me not ready to devote an entire room to a longarm machine! Now, it's still pricey, similar to what you'd pay for a longarm on KSL classifieds (or your similar local online classified venue). But I think I'm in love! One machine JUST for sewing and piecing and one JUST for quilting! Each built for their own purpose!

Any thoughts from the great beyond about what machines you use for quilting, what size throat you have, and what you recommend? 

6 comments:

  1. oooooo - I would *love* that throat for my quilting machine! It really is glorious to have two machines so one is always set up for sewing and the other for quilting. I really enjoy many features on my Viking Sapphire 875 quilter, and I've never once had tension issues with it, but it "only" has a 10 inch throat. Much nicer than quilting on my little ol' Singer, but certainly not a long-arm stretch. :) The Tiara looks fun, and its name sure is a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lyn. A 10" throat sounds pretty exciting to me too! My brother only has a 6" throat, but that 16" throat looks so amazing, doesn't it!! I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger yet, but I may head over to the store and give it a test drive! Actually, my other wish list machine is the Sapphire 875, so glad to know it's worked well for you! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother has mentioned that if she were to buy another machine it would be the Tiara. We both really like that machine. With the HQMS about to start, they may have so good deals going on for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I test drove the HQ sweet sixteen today and I really didn't like the stitch regulator. Not sure how the Tiara is different. Also tried out the Bernina 780. LOVED that! So many options!

      Delete
  4. I know the gammill is pricey but it is well worth it!!! i love mine!!! you should buy mine I'm thinking of upgrading!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh sooo tempting! Just have to find room for it!!

      Delete

What are you thinking? I always welcome comments and suggestions! Thanks for stopping by Shortcookie!