Friday, March 8, 2013

Hitting the Bottle

No, things have not gotten desperate around here! I just wanted to share some of my newly acquired wisdom from the world of pressing. Yes, I've finally crossed over to the "dark side!" I used to call it "ironing," until I was met with enough gasps from my mother-in-law (Hi Carolyn!) and quiltie friends that I've succumbed. I get it. You iron clothes and press fabric (with love and respect . . . snort!).

Anywho, people have been raving for so long about Best Press for helping with pressing and I finally tried it. I like it, but let's face it: I'm cheap! I don't want to spend extra money on things like that when I previously used plain old water! And Best Press, fancy as it may be, is pricey!

I had heard at a recent retreat that vodka works as a substitute for Best Press. I'm not sure how, exactly, as I think the starch from the potatoes in the vodka is cooked out in the distillation process, but apparently it still does some wondrous thing for fabric. So, I did what any self-respecting, price-chopping quilter would do . . .  I googled! There are competing accounts of the ratio of vodka to water, but I've tried it out, and have found that 1 part vodka to 2 parts water (distilled or tap) works like a champ. If you like the scents from Best Press (I don't), you can find scented essential oils at Walmart or Joann's and add them to the mix. Now, I'm still spending money, but cheap vodka is so much cheaper than Best Press! I was literally on my hands and knees in the liquor store looking for the bottom shelf (=worst and cheapest) vodka. A liter of cheap vodka (33.8 fluid ounces) cost $6.42. That, plus a spray bottle from the local Dollar Store, and I'm good to go! But this is truly for pressing purposes only! This "quality" of vodka will rot your gut!

11 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for getting my my booze ;) Tomorrow I am doing a tute on my blog about scenting it with grapefruit zest. Yummy smell, and totally FREE because when you are finished, you eat the grapefruit :) Again, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! You are the BEST!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're sooo welcome! I'm happy to be your dealer anytime! ;-). The grapefruit is such an inspired idea. I love it and can't wait to try it!

      Delete
  2. Oh dear I iron too (bizarrely press suits/iron clothes - my mother was a tailor!) And I'd never heard of best press :( But vodka - who knew? I'll give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth a try! And if you enjoy an occasional cocktail, if your seams get messed up and you get frustrated, there's always a drink on hand! ;-)

      Delete
    2. Fabulous tip, hickup!
      ipatchandquilt.wordpress.com

      Delete
  3. Your the best miss Maggie!!! Thank you!!! BTW I will be your dealer for south county!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe I can just picture you down there on the floor at the booze shop. Hey, Maggie - since you make yours without scenting it, you'll be able to tell - Does it leave any remnant of alcohol smell on the fabric? I want to try this stuff out, but it would probably be a very bad thing for Scott to go to work on base smelling "hoochie"! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question--you certainly don't want a drunken disorderly charge!! ;-) I can smell the slightest scent of vodka when I spray it, but nothing in the fabric itself--I think it gets evaporated by the heat of the iron.

      Delete
  5. I'm going to make some today!! Thank you :-) :-) Amie

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking? I always welcome comments and suggestions! Thanks for stopping by Shortcookie!