Wednesday, December 14, 2011

O Christmas Tree!


December 14, 2011

Santa's workshop continues to bustle! This is a pillowcase I'm making for my mom. Because I saw her in CA last week, I gave it to her (in progress) early, then took it back so I can complete it before sending it back later this week. That's my Sophie pup on top of the packages looking up at the star. As those at Pam's recent sewing retreat may remember, I got the inspiration for this from a cute Christmas card I found at Whole Foods (of all places!). I'm using this as the demo for a tree skirt I'm making next. For that one I'll add Zoey (our border collie/lab mix) at the bottom of the tree. As you can tell with the tree, I'm still wrestling with curved piecing. What a monster to figure out how to do!!

Now that I'm finished with the hand quilting and have added a border, I'll machine quilt the front, then add a back to the case then send her back east to mom before the holidays! I had been struggling to find the right yellow/gold fabric for the star, and then I discovered the Star of Bethlehem shaped star right in the purple Anthology fabric--how cool is that?!

3 comments:

  1. I love it! Love your fabric choices too:)

    I haven't done a ton of paper piecing, but I have dabbled and dreamed. Most of the patterns that I have looked at have a number of straight pieces that give a curved effect. Here is an example, check out the curve on the three. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ofenjen/3220285406/

    I can't wait to see the tree skirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this cushion - it's really fun! The curve looks great to me :)

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking? I always welcome comments and suggestions! Thanks for stopping by Shortcookie!