Wednesday, December 28, 2011

New and Old Technology

December 28, 2011

Cool photo, eh?! Karen has been doing a phenomenal job with her new (used) camera. I think Santa did good! I am so amazed by how much she has learned in just 4 days! I have a good hand-held digital camera, and I thought that if I just figured out what I was doing wrong, my pictures would get better. Well, I figured out what I was doing wrong . . . I was using a camera with limited resolution! This new camera makes such a difference! Of course, now I have to get used to the fact that at any moment I may be photographed! This is me making one of the Keyka Lou's nifty envelope clutches. I'm a bit behind on a few Christmas gifts, so I'm still cranking out a few last gifties!

I've also spent the past day cleaning out my sewing room from top to bottom, trying to recover from the Christmas crush. So much fabric, so many scraps, so much dust! I did succumb to a sale at Michael's on craftie organizers, which has helped curb a bit of the chaos . . . for now!


I'd also like to introduce "Plunkie." Karen gave her to me as a birthday gift last year. I'm not exactly certain why, but I've wanted an Underwood typewriter for a long while. I learned to type on a manual typewriter (yes, I'm that old!). Actually, my typing class had only enough electric typewriters for half the class, so we traded off between the manual and the electric typewriters. My mother had an old Underwood from college, and I loved the feel and the smell of the ribbon and the keys. I loved the way the keys stuck if you typed too quickly . . .

So Plunkie joined the family last summer and has since been spruced up and is fairly functional. She is named in honor of my grandmother (her childhood nickname), who typed all her family letters on an old manual typerwriter (kind of funny, no?!). She is a sweet reminder to me of many stories that I have yet to write!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are you thinking? I always welcome comments and suggestions! Thanks for stopping by Shortcookie!